Do you want to do something fabulous for you and your family this spring season? Start an herb garden! Even if you have limited space, you can quickly put together a nice little garden to supply you with delicious, fresh herbs all year round.
Don’t know where to start? Don’t worry, just follow this quick guide and you’ll be up and running in no time.
- Find the right spot – Herbs thrive with sunlight, and they prefer at least six hours a day. Even if you put them in a window, make sure they will get a lot of natural light throughout the day.
- Give everybody room – it is best to plant each herb in its own container, so it has plenty of room to spread out, and its roots flourish.
- Plenty of drainage – be sure to put trays under your pots so that the herbs don’t drown in water without a way to drain.
- Pick your herbs – basil, parsley, chives, cilantro, and mint do well and are easy to maintain. If you cook with rosemary, dill, or oregano, let your taste buds decide for you which herbs to grow.
- Fertile soil – buy the good stuff at the local feed store and use soil packed with nutrients like Miracle-Gro® Moisture Control® Potting Mix.
- Research each herb’s special needs – water and care for your new garden as if it were family. Plants need lots of love to grow.
- Use and enjoy – snip and use the herbs often when cooking to keep the plant healthy and robust.
Fresh herbs can enhance a meal and bring out the flavor in your cuisine. There is nothing like growing your own garden herbs and harvesting them just before a special meal!